Crete’s annual Memorial Day celebration on Monday, May 26, will begin with an 11 a.m. Veterans Memorial Service at Crete Park. The parade will step off from the park at noon, heading down Main Street to Burville Road.
The 2014 event, titled, “A Time to Honor America’s Heroes,” will honor the service and memory of veterans, while continuing to support and honor members of the armed forces currently serving our nation to secure democracy and preserve freedom.
The Memorial Service will include patriotic music, an invocation and benediction by local clergy, the placing of a wreath in remembrance of our fallen heroes and a guest speaker who provides insight into this special day.
In addition, the names of Crete veterans who lost their lives for our country are read aloud “so the community never forgets the sacrifice they made. We urge all members of the public to join us in the very special tribute to our veterans.”
Deadline for parade permit
Friday, May 23, is the last day for parade participants to submit a completed application and liability waiver at the village hall. The neccessary paperwork is available at the village and can also be downloaded from the village Website.
- Floats will line up in the west parking lot at Crete Park;
- Police & fire vehicles and automobiles will line up on First Street, west of Lumber Street;
- Politicos will line up on Benton Street between First and North streets;
- Equestrian participants will line up in the vacant lot on the west side of Lumber Street, south of Holland Manufacturing, and
- Marching Units, Musical Units on foot and Walking groups will line up at the park.
Individual and business donations help support Crete’s Annual Memorial Day event. Checks can be made out to the Crete Memorial Day Parade Committee and dropped off at the village hall.
Original material copyright 2014 Eastern Will County News; all rights reserved.
. . . . … . . . …. . . .. . . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . . . …… . . . . .. . . . . . …. . . .