by Dennis Sullivan
March 20, 2014
Crete resident Chavonna J. Coles, 36, of the 800 block of Berkshire Place was sentenced today to two days in jail, placed on 24 months’ probation and ordered to perform 100 hours’ community service after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of possession of a controlled substance. She could have been sentenced to up to three years in prison.
Coles was originally charged with possession with intent to deliver more than 900 grams of a substance containing cocaine in connection with her Sept. 6 arrest by Will County Sheriff’s Police. That charge carried a sentencing range of up to 30 years in prison, if convicted. Coles had no prior convictions in Will County, according to circuit court records.
- A 21-year-old Crete resident from the 3400 block of Haweswood Drive picked up additional charges of resisting arrest and escape during her March 18 domestic-battery arrest at her home by Crete Police.
- A Jan. 1 DUI charge against Peotone-area resident Carie L. Fabian has been upgraded to aggravated DUI/third offense, a felony. Fabian, 39, of the 30000 block of South Egyptian Trail was originally charged in connection with a traffic stop for improper lane use and transporting open alcohol. She is scheduled to return to Will County Circuit court April 3.
- Sauk Village resident Thaddeus J. Nestor, 24, of the 2100 block of Orion Avenue was charged with possession of a controlled substance in connection with his March 14 arrest by Will County Sheriff’s Police. He is scheduled to appear in Will County Circuit court March 31 for a preliminary hearing on the charge, which carries a sentencing range of up to three years in prison if convicted.
- Steger-area resident Joseph A. Perez-Salazar Jr., 22, of the 23900 block of South Sangamon Street pled guilty March 12 to two counts of home invasion, one count of burglary and criminal damage to property in connection with an incident on the 3700 block of Emerald Avenue in Steger on Dec. 7 and 8. Perez-Salazar is scheduled to appear before Will County Circuit Court Judge Gerald Kinney on May 21. Perez-Salazar could be sentenced to up to 30 years for each count of home invasion, seven years for burglary and up to three years on the damage charge.
- Steger resident Robert John Walker, 41, of the 3500 block of Williams Lane was admitted March 4 to Stateville Correctional Center, on a 30-month sentence for aggravated DUI/no license. Walker pled guilty Feb. 14 to the felony charge, which stemmed from an Aug. 13 traffic stop by New Lenox Police. The charge carries a sentencing range of up to three years in prison. Walker was originally charged with DUI with a blood-alcohol content above the legal limit, driving with a suspended license, driving 11-14 mph above the speed limit and operating an uninsured motor vehicle.
- A 37-year-old University Park man from the 700 block of Red Oak Lane is charged with domestic battery in connection with a March 15 incident at his home.
Original material copyright 2014 Eastern Will County News; all rights reserved.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .