by Dennis Sullivan
Feb. 10, 2014
Cash bail of $2,000 was posted today for Crete resident Shaun D. Tillman, who is scheduled to return to Will County Circuit court Feb. 28 on a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm. The charge is a Class 3 felony, punishable by 2-5 years in prison if convicted.
Tillman, 28, of the 3600 block of Edward Drive was arrested Thursday by Crete Police after he allegedly drew a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol at his home during a fight with a 25-year-old man over a girl.
Crete Police Chief Jim Paoletti said police recovered the weapon, which had been hidden outside, by following tracks in the snow.
He said the male involved in the altercation was also punched in the face.
Paoletti said Tillman’s nine prior convictions include burglary, possession of dangerous drugs and assault.
Will County Circuit court records show Tillman pleaded guilty to an October 2002 burglary in Crete and to a June 2005 charge of criminal trespass with persons present in Steger. He was sentenced to three years in prison on each conviction.
2 charged in school fights
An 18-year-old honor-roll student from Park Forest has been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and a 15-year-old University Park resident has been petitioned into juvenile court on a charge of aggravated battery in connection with separate fights at Crete-Monee High School last week.
Police took Damaria C. Sutton, a cheerleader, into custody Tuesday after she allegedly displayed a knife while “facing off” against another girl, according to Crete Police Chief Jim Paoletti.
Paoletti said there was no contact between Sutton and the other female student, adding the clash involved a boy.
On Wednesday, the Will County State’s Attorney’s Office filed the felony charge, which carries a sentencing range of 1-3 years in prison if convicted. Sutton is scheduled to return to Will County Circuit court Feb. 25 for a preliminary hearing on the charge.
Sutton, a senior, who lives with her aunt on the 0-100 block of Woodlawn Glenn, is free on $500 cash bail.
Paoletti said police took the 15-year-old into custody after she knocked down another girl and kicked a teacher while attempting to press her advantage.
Paoletti said he thought the teen didn’t intend to kick the teacher, but the charge is aggravated battery because teachers have special protection under the law.
Paoletti previously downplayed rumors about a string of fights at the school, but a statement later issued by the school district said three fights and a verbal altercation had occurred. The district attributed the fights to arguments on social media.
Paoletti said Crete Police maintained “almost hourly” walk-throughs in the wake of the fights in order to reassure the 1,592 other students that “they’re safe on campus.”
He said everything has since calmed down at the school.
- Crete resident Dana M. Jackson, 32, of the 1500 block of Wayne Drive was charged with DUI and driving after dark without headlights during a Jan. 26 traffic stop on the 9200 block of 159th Street in Orland Park.
- A 50-year-old Crete-area man from the 1700 block of West Maple Lane is scheduled to appear in Will County Circuit court March 5 for a preliminary hearing on a charge of domestic battery stemming from an alleged incident Wednesday at his home. Eastern Will County News isn’t naming the defendant because the charge is a non-DUI misdemeanor.
- Cedar Lake resident Patrick M. Johnston, 53, of the 12300 block of Alexander Street was arrested Wednesday by Crete Police for DUI and speeding/driving too fast for conditions. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Will County Circuit court March 6.
- Monee Police arrested Richton Park resident Lorenzo Alcaraz III and Matteson resident Ernest Evans Saturday for burglary. Alcaraz, 21, of the 3900 block of Tower Drive and Evans, 26, of the 0-100 block of Denise Court were scheduled to return to Will County Circuit court this afternoon. They are each free on $2,000 cash bail.
- Richton Park resident Kevin B. Thomas, 43, of the 22400 block of Lakeshore Drive is scheduled to be arraigned March 10 on charges of DUI, improper lane use, driving on a suspended license and operating an uninsured motor vehicle. Monee Police took Thomas into custody during a Jan. 11 traffic stop.
- An 18-year-old male resident of Aunt Martha’s Youth Center, 6010 W. Industrial Drive, was arrested Friday on a two-count charge of domestic battery. He remained in the Will County Adult Detention Facility this morning in lieu of $4,000 cash bail. Eastern Will County News isn’t naming the defendant because the charge is a non-DUI misdemeanor.
- Peotone-area resident Sabino Hernandez, 40, of the 7000 block of West Kennedy Road was arrested Feb. 1 for illegally using a cell phone while driving and driving with a suspended license during a Feb. 1 traffic stop by Frankfort Police at LaGrange Road and Old Frankfort Way. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Will County Circuit court on March 5.
- The Will County State’s Attorney’s office approved theft charges Wednesday against a 28-year-old Steger man from the 3600 block of Emerald Avenue in connection with an alleged April 22 incident in Steger. Eastern Will County News isn’t naming the defendant because the charge is a non-DUI misdemeanor.
Original material copyright 2014 Eastern Will County News; all rights reserved.
– – – … – – – … – – – … – – – … – – – … – – – … – – – … – – – … – – – …